Wednesday, November 3, 2021

#139 Copywriter's A.I. Assisstant

#139 Blog Post – Wednesday, November 3, 2021

 

 http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2021/11/139-copywriters-ai-assisstant.html

 

Posted by Denny Hatch

 

Copywriters' New A.I. Digital Assistant Spews Out Original Copy on Demand!

 

 

Dear Colleague,

 

Many years ago, I was a direct mail copywriter and writer/designer of space ads. Later I stumbled into starting WHO’S MAILING WHAT! – the newsletter and archive service. In 1992 I sold out to become editor and publisher of Target Marketing Magazine. During those 30 years I traveled the country speaking and attending conferences, symposia, expos – all-manor of direct marketing gatherings.

 

I used to run into an elegant, sunny gentleman from California named John Finn. He was an agent. His business was matching his stable of direct mail copywriters to direct mail marketers who needed creative help.

 

Alas, John passed away, and his son Kevin took over the business.

 

Meet Your Newest Assistant:
Mr.(or Ms.) A.I. Copywriter

Recently out of the blue (and out of my distant past) I received an unsolicited YouTube video from Kevin Finn calling attention to an “Artificial Intelligence” copywriting program. You feed info into the system on a product or service and the specifics of the market you want to reach – including parameters such as price and size.

 

      From Kevin’s Email Cover Letter

     Just a quick note to share this
     copywriter assistant
tool that
     leverages an artificial intelligence
     tool
created by Elon Musk. It helps
     copywriters speed up
the time it takes
     to complete writing assignments –
or
     get started on them.

 

My understanding: this magical system will produce an avalanche of ideas based on highly successful copy that has been vacuumed up on the worldwide Web. It will a) give you copy approach ideas; b) myriad headlines and subheads; c) actual copy; d) proprietary research into the subject(s) at hand; d) plus a Guarantee: all material is original, none stolen, no theft of copyright.

 

The Pain-in-the-ass Business
Of Time-Consuming Research

Okay, this system will not act as a substitute for an experienced copywriter. But the USP (Unique Selling Proposition) seems to be the guarantee to save you many hours of research.

 

If copywriters can dramatically cut down time doing research, they can write more copy, serve more clients and make a ton more money!

 

A Personal Confession

I flat-out don’t understand any of this.

 

For starters, I LOVE SPENDING TIME DOING RESEARCH!

 

Consider this. Tens of thousands of graduates – M.A.’s, Ph.D.’s, doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists and busines executives took out enormous six-figure student loans to buy the knowledge needed to have great careers and get obscenely rich.

 

Today these hotshots are whining over the crushing burden of being forced to repay the humongous student debt they accrued buying knowledge. Many are simply defaulting on their loans.


Unlike These Struggling, Overeducated Deadbeats,
Copywriters Get Paid Big Money to Learn Stuff!

Think of it! As a direct marketing copywriter, you are being paid gloriously fat fees for the fun (and life experience) of learning about new business and consumer products and services.

 

Along the way in the course of your paid research you are also learning about new professions and are privileged to discover the lifestyles and needs of the customers who buy your client’s wares. You are being paid handsomely for becoming an expert in myriad fields!

 

Think of it! After, say, 3 years of creating direct mail and digital offers, copywriters have been paid handsomely while acquiring the equivalent of an MBA in Direct Marketing!

 

             A Personal Request...
After you've learned about this revolutionary A.I. Assistant Copywriter, I’d love it if you would share your thoughts with fellow readers on this radical concept.
It should make for a fascinating discussion! Your choice:


1. Simply scroll down to the bottom of this page and leave a comment...

-or- 

2. Email me your comment and I’ll enter it for you. I am Denny Hatch, dennyhatc@yahoo.com

 

Thank you!

 

CLICK HERE TO MEET THE A.I. DIGITAL COPYWRITER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-IJv6MKPc

 

### 
 
Word Count: 629
 

You Are Invited to Meet Denny Hatch and
See His
26-minute Geezer-Fast Yoga Routine

http://dennyhatch.blogspot.com/2020/03/87-geezer-fast-yoga.html

 
 
At age 15, Denny Hatch—as a lowly apprentice—wrote his first news release for a Connecticut summer theater. To his astonishment it ran verbatim in The Middletown Press. He was instantly hooked on writing. After a two-year stint in the U.S. Army (1958-60), Denny had nine jobs in his first 12 years in business. He was fired from five of them and went on to save two businesses and start three others. One of his businesses—WHO’S MAILING WHAT! newsletter and archive service founded in 1984—revolutionized the science of how to measure the success of competitors’ direct mail. In the past 55 years he has been a book club director, magazine publisher, advertising copywriter/designer, editor, journalist and marketing consultant. He is the author of four published novels and seven books on business and marketing.

CONTACT

dennyhatch@yahoo.com

Note to Readers:  
May I send you an alert when each new blog is posted? If so, kindly give me the okay by send
ing your First Name, Last Name and email to dennyhatch@yahoo.com. I guarantee your personal information will not be shared with anyone at any time for any reason. The blog is a free service. No cost. No risk. No obligation. Cancel any time. I look forward to being in touch!

IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE POSTING A COMMENT… EMAIL ME! I'LL HELP!
Google owns Blogspot.com and this Comment Section. If you do not have a Google account — or if you find it too damn complicated — contact me directly and I will happily post your comment with a note that this is per your permission. Thank you and do keep in touch. dennyhatch@yahoo.com

Invitation to Marketers and Direct Marketers: 
Guest Blog Posts Are Welcome. 
If you have a marketing story to tell, case history, concept to propose or a memoir, give a shout. I’ll get right back to you. I am: dennyhatch@yahoo.com
215-644-9526 (rings on my desk). 

You Are Invited to Join the Discussion.

18 comments:

  1. We live in interesting times, Denny!

    When an “AI lady” asked me how I was doing the other day, I said “My mother died.”

    To which she responded, “That’s good to hear!”

    It has a long way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben,

      Love it!

      My private code definition of A.I. is Asshole Idiocy.

      Do keep in touch!

      Delete
  2. Guess I can retire now and turn all my work over to my computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,

      Don’t retire. You’ll be bored outta your gourd.

      I’m ancient (86) and still working, brooding, caring.

      I know I’m alive. (Or at least I think I’m alive.)

      Do keep in touch.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. No, Reg,
      Time stumbles on.
      Do keep in touch.
      Cheers.

      Delete
  4. Great blog Denny!

    I have a friend who is a very successful marketer. He sells his own products and services (consulting, masterminds, etc.). He's a brilliant copywriter, and in the last few months he's been testing AI copy over his controls.

    He reports that the AI is "winning" 60% of the time! I was shocked.

    Now I'm seriously considering doing my own AI testing.

    Best regards to you and your lovely bride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will,
      God bless ‘im!
      If he’s tamed the communications beast with A.I. he’s got the direct marketing world by the short hairs. More power to him!
      Will he share his knowhow with the rest of us troglodytes?
      Not if he’s smart!
      Do keep in touch!

      Delete
  5. Well Denny, I just signed up and played a little with this AI software and it kicked out more appealing content (doesn't mean it will perform any better) than a supposedly good copywriter we just hired! I am actually going to test some of it. Plus, it delivered it in about 20 seconds and not 3 days behind schedule. So far my experience with copywriting hasn't been less than impressive. You come up with 10 headlines, run and test them, and the one you liked the least does the best! I haven't had luck with any copywriters we have tried. Of course none of them were Denny Hatch! Love reading your blog. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,
      FASCINATING!
      As I say to people: “You can’t judge good direct marketing; it judges you!”
      Do keep in touch!
      Cheers.

      Delete
  6. Very cool and useful tool! Thank you for sharing, Denny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this the future? But I always thought that a personal approach, whether business or consumer mail, invariably pulled better. A human needs to talk to a human. The presentation, especially Robert Stover talking incessantly with his hands in the camera, proved a turnoff. Hands don't write effective copy, people do. Still, Denny, thanks for your missive. I'm always smarter when you share your insight and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey,
      Thanks for taking the time to write.
      God, I love doing this! Always something new to discover… test… and master!
      Do keep in touch!
      Cheers.

      Delete
  8. Denny, Fascinating post and video. May not be especially helpful for the fundraising copy I write, but I could see how a seasoned for-profit copywriter it might save time. As someone in the video said: it's a lot easier to edit than "create". And editing copy drafts from our copywriters saves me a ton of time - the end product usually looks great and performs well. Even though I've been writing copy for 40 years, I've started using Gammarly when I dictate letter drafts and that also saves a lot of time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's post above is from Harvey McKinnon. Somehow I was listed as unknown. thanks for all the great posts, opinions and ideas.

      Delete
    2. Harvey... Great hearing from you. Glad to have the correction. This blog system is owned by Google and they don't make communications easy. If you ever have problems, you can always email me direct — dennyhatch@yahoo.com and we can talk offline. Do keep in touch.

      Delete
  9. Hi Denny, a fascinating post. Thanks for sharing. An interesting follow-up would be to take some control, i.e. the Wall Street Journal letter and see if you can create something similar using AI software: Jarvis, Writesonic Copy.ai.

    If the software is as good as it claims to be, I wonder if mediocre copywriters can suddenly become competent copywriters, churning out copy at impressive speed, much to the client's delight.

    Best wishes and thanks for the thought-provoking post,

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steven Pell gave me the okay to share his email with readers of this Blog:

    Hi Denny,
    I tried replying to your article on AI through Google, but no dice!
    To me, the idea that eliminating research is a positive is all wrong. Research gives us the depth of understanding of products and services we need to craft copy that will sell. I'm like you, 78 and still cranking it out and loving it. I guess I'm John Henry to AI's machine; I'll die with a "pen" in my hand and a smile on my face!
    I read and enjoy your articles all the time. Don't stop!
    Best,
    Steve Pell

    ReplyDelete